I have always thought that dating and job hunting have many things in common, especially online dating:-
(1) Browsing the want ads = browsing online profiles, waiting for friend's introduction, generally looking for opportunities out there;
(2) mailing in your resume = first contact, sending an IM, a winky, waiting for their calls, and most of the times you won't hear anything back at all;
(2) job interview = first date, where you compare each others' wants, needs, qualifications to determine if you are a good fit for each other (and you only get one shot at this!);
(3) receiving the offer letter to a job = announcing that you are officially a couple;
(4) employment = entering into long term relationship;
(5) termination/separation = breaking up.
The most similar part between the two events? They are equally demoralizing. Even if you are not interested in the job/person, being declined is still a blow to your ego. And even worse is if the fondness is only one way. A perfect match is hard to come by.