Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Way to Go, Vermont!!

Woohoo!! I was genuinely surprised today when I opened up my Gmail and saw a news alert that gay marriage has been legalized in Vermont. I would not say that I am in tears, but I am ecstatic. 4 down! 46 more to go! And I have always thought that California and New York will be among the first to legalize gay marriage... :(

Interesting article from the other side:

FRC Urges Citizen Action Following Votes in Vermont, DC
"Same-sex 'marriage' is a movement driven by wealthy homosexual activists and a liberal elite determined to destroy not only the institution of marriage, but democracy as well. Time and again, we see when citizens have the opportunity to vote at the ballot box, they consistently opt to support traditional marriage," said Perkins.

"The vote today by the D.C. City Council was a direct affront to the federal Defense of Marriage Act. The radical Left wants to destroy the traditional union of one man and one woman across the country and they will not rest until they do so.
I am still very much confused since the beginning of this whole discussion. I am heterosexual, exactly how does gays getting married destroy my union with my husband or even infringe on my rights again? With or without the religious undertone, this is just another one of those fanatic, brain-washed propaganda.

I will give you an example, I have known this gentleman who has been married 5 times. FIVE! Twice to the same woman. If you REALLY want to argue about the destruction of the institution of marriage, please go after these folks first. I can understand one mistake, two. Any more than that, you are not even taking this seriously. Did you even stop for a moment to think about WHY you want to marry this person? Have you seriously considered spending the rest of your life with him/her? Strange, I see marraige as a pledge between two individual in front of friends and family about your decision/determintion/commitment to spend the rest of your lives with the other person. The gender of the individuals are completely irrelevant.

I quote this comedian that I have seen on TV once (and I apologize for I have forgotten his name, but he as in the first season of Last Comic Standing), "Gay marriage? How does that concern me? -- Next, people will want to marry their dogs. -- Again, how does that concern me?" Exactly. Same sex couple, opposite sex couple, their getting marry will not affect my marriage in any way. It's a right and nobody should be discriminated against it.

That said, to our lovely homosexual brothers/sisters/comrades, please, you have fought hard for this basic rights and some of us heterosexuals have fought along side you. This right, albeit emphermeral in California, did not come easy. While I understand that straight couples do that all the time, please, think first before you go into the court house to "make a point." Please do not get a divorce three months after you got married. The point here is to show that the commitment to your partner is important to you, don't cheapen it.

No comments: