Sunday, April 5, 2009

Knee-Jerk Reflex

Oh wow, there certainly was a lot of shootings around the country lately California (a few miles from us no less!), New York, Philadelphia, Washington... I expected more petty crime/robberies to go up as the economy worsen, I did not expect more shootings.

To start this entry, I would like to clarify my take on owning guns -- I don't get why people need it (nowadays, don't quote me the reason BEHIND it why we have it in the first place) but I am not strongly against it either. And since it's legal AND it is a RIGHT, I am planning on owning one someday.

What baffles me is Americans resilience to giving up their guns? It seems that this is a country based a lot on knee-jerk reflexes -- anything bad happens, people will freak out and call for a ban on this, additional restrictions on that, especially if the incident involve kids. Whenever kids are involved, common sense goes out the window, "Oh, we have to do this, this, and that to prevent that from happening again!" Much like our frivolous law suits, it has gotten way out of hand. Every issue except for guns. Sometimes, really, people should just take a little bit more responsibilities in their actions. All issues except when it comes to guns, that's when logic goes out the window. It's truly an eye-opener. Kids got shot in schools - "It's our constitutional rights to bear arms." Men/women shooting their entire family -- "It's our constitutional rights to own guns." Cops getting shot.... you get the idea.

Like I said, I am not passionate enough in this subject to fight this battle one way or another. I am merely commenting on people's passion on their guns. And can someone please explain to me about one of our latest shootings -- Police say Richard Poplawski, 23, had been upset about losing his job and feared the Obama administration was poised to ban guns.

Granted, this person clearly has lost his mind but the fear of gun-banning is part of his motive to shoot at cops? If anything, isn't that an ammunition, so to speak, for the opposite of why people should NOT own gun?

Perhaps I only think that because I grew up where most people have never and will never see a real gun in their lives... I guess Asian peeps used to walk around in swords, and now we can still legally own knives in the comfort of your own home. It's all the same idea, right?

No comments: