Monday, August 17, 2009

Recession Terminologies

Two new terminologies emerged with this recession -- funemployment and staycation -- and I like them both. Perhaps the terms have been around since there were recessions, I have just never heard about them. This is as close to recession as I ever had; last time around both Hubby and I had recession proof jobs. This time? We'll see.

For those who are not so familiar with the terms, here's their definition (you can always look up their "official" definition on investopedia.com if you doubt me ;):-

Funemployment:- Fun + unemployment = a fun unemployment. Refers only to those who had the financial stability to enjoy the situation of being laid off -- go on that vacation they never had the chance to, and cheap too (see my entry "Pawn shop of goodies")! Or go back to schoool. On the other hand, if you don't have that financial stability, then it's just the depression of being laid off. I only wish I can afford to be funemployed. :'(

Staycation:- stay + vacation. Refers to those who can't afford to go on a vacation, so they just stay home -- my favorite kind of vacation.

No comments: