Sunday, August 23, 2009

Internet Friendship

As it turned out, I have made many friends online over the years. Those that I have never met and probably never will, but somehow we maintained contact over the years. It's a lot easier to maintain contact with your online friends than your real life friends in that you can exchange a few words once in a great while when you are both online... instead of a specific phone call for those that you haven't seen in a while.

The thing I love most about an online friendship is that I can speak my mind. I don't have to be politically correct. I can totally choose them based on their religious/political viewpoint. I don't have to withhold my opinion on any subjects or filter my language for that matter. The beauty of it is... many are volatile, if we don't hit it off, so to speak, we don't have to speak with each other ever again. I don't know what they look like, or their real names for that matter, so I won't even know it's them should we ever cross path in real life. And I certainly don't work with them.

With my personality, people either think I'm strange or like my sense of humor; they either like my strong personality or they dislike me; very rarely are there middle ground. So once I became friends with someone online, I know I can speak my mind without filters. It is a truly liberating experience.

No comments: