Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Option

One would think one can learn a lot by working with the big boss at work. Well, I'm not sure about "a lot," but I have certainly learned one important concept -- option. And I don't mean stock options; I meant This-is-NOT-an-option option. You see? He's the big boss, what he says goes. I guess there's always an option to quit the job, but in this economy? Then again, if you look at the bigger picture, the firm being a global company, all of a sudden, the big boss of ONE office became middle management on the overall scheme of things. So what national wants us to do, it's not an option for him either.

Three years ago, when I sent out emails, I'll use words like, "Do you think you can do _____________?" which falsely gave people the impression that they have a choice. Don't get me wrong, I'm not that high up the food chain, but I am the messenger. Now I've learn the new trick of using words like, "Can you do _____ at [date] [time]? Thanks." Why beat around the bush when it's really not an option for anyone involved?

The same principle can be extended into our personal lives. Many a times, we don't have a lot of choices in live. Getting up in the morning and going to work is not an option. Roof over head, food on table is also not an option, which make getting up and going to work all that more mandatory. My renter can't pay rent and evicting him is not an option, unless I want him squat indefinitely. The important thing in your personal life is to (1) be able to realize when there is no more options in a situation and (2) when you get to that point, suck it up and do what you have to.

No comments: